Thursday, June 3, 2010

Summer Reading



Tuesday we made a trip to the library and signed up for the Summer Reading Program. Perhaps it was just at the library I grew up frequenting, but I remember the summer reading program with great fondness. I remember signing up and toting home a huge bag full of books. I remember setting huge goals and the prizes that were given as I reached each milestone. Was my experience unique?

Has the summer reading program been dumbed down?


The librarian explained that each child should set a reasonable goal they felt comfortable with...and once they reached their goal, they get a "prize package." She handed each child a "Splash Into Reading" paper on which to record the books they read along with a bookmark and a few stickers.

The "prize package" sounds great...but I remember the health of competition and knowing I'd better pick a book over a tv show...and I remember those wonderful prizes along the way...getting my name put up on the wall, an ice cream sunday from McDonalds, a cheap pair of sunglasses, a dig through the treasure chest. My baby sister assures me my memory is correct. It was a game. It was competition. And it made us pick reading over many other things. I wanted to reach that next milestone...bad.

It's sad to me that so many children in our area will miss out on that aspect of the Summer Reading program. I know all children don't have equal abilities. I never read the most books and I never got the grand prize. That was healthy and good. I learned from that. I realize setting and meeting personal goals are worthy endeavors, but there's just something to the competition. Perhaps we'll find a way to make it a little more exciting in our home.

10 comments:

  1. We just signed up too. I remember ours beinga little more competitive too. But you know how these days we can't leave any child out or anything...

    Our library they get a silly band for every 5 books read to them or for a reader 3 books they read unless it's over 100 pages then it's for every one book. I haven't heard about any prizes, but maybe they tally that up at the end.

    We LOVE all the fun summer stuff at the library...it seems like ours has "stepped it up" this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember summer reading program days...it was a competition to us. I think to some now days competition looked down upon, I disagree. It make you strive for something a little more when there are others going for the same thing. Have fun with it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with your entire post. Our library is "lackluster" at best. Completely agree about healthy competition. To this day I will do a lot for a prize. Is stickers really the best they can do? ...A reasonable goal? We should teach our children to reach higher, be better than they already are! Going to get off the soapbox now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Books...books...I *love* books! AND there was nothing better than a long warm summer day in which to hide out in the tree house and devour the latest "read"!! Do enjoy!! AND do make your own contest with your MW...they are the BEST kind...Mommy and Daddy contests mean more to a child than one made up by strangers. :)

    Love to you!
    Camille

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to compete every summer in the summer reading programs at school...I think it was based on the number of pages read. I remember our local library doing a similar program too and I'm pretty sure we had a treasure chest to pick prizes to pick from.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our library gives guidelines for goals- and prizes are awarded for reaching the goal, but no competition.
    I love, love, love to sew too! It's so worth the effort to see the fruit of your labor, especially when they like wearing it! Max still likes it- but I know my days are numbered!

    ReplyDelete
  7. J, with your abilities you can run a Home Summer Reading Program that will be far better than the library's! Put The All-of-a-Kind Family on your list--I just loved them, and there are a good many books to enjoy in the series.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You definitely remember it correctly. Regarding competition, some of the most important lessons I ever learned came from losing. Kids today are not learning how to lose and how to get back up again. Real life is going to crush them if they can't even handle losing a Little League game or coming in at the middle of the pack in a reading program.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, I remember those days - and the competition! I read stacks of Nancy Drews one summer, and collected library dollars faithfully...and then realized that I was going to be gone during the carnival, when you could spend them on fun things like pony rides in the parking lot. Was I disappointed? Yes. Did I learn that life isn't always what we want? Yes. An important lesson learned.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, I remember doing Book It and the exciting prize that would await me after a certain # of books read: a free, personal pan pizza from pizza hut! And after a certain number of times like this, a cool certificate of completion. I am a big fan of healthy competition among kids, and I'm also a fan of kids reading those sweet books like Charlotte's Web, Trumpet of The Swan,A Little Princess, Secret Garden, Anne of Greene Gables, and(MY ALL-TIME FAVORITE)An Old-Fashioned Girl. To all ya'll who love reading and are blessed, like J, with the privilege to teach and pass on that love to your children, please consider the above classics and others as possible uplifting challenges for your kids! Hurray for reading!

    ReplyDelete