Monday, June 7, 2010

Sunday Night Supper

One Sunday evening last summer found me utterly worn out, watching my children swim. As the lifeguard blew the whistle and announced the pool was closed, I scrambled to gather my two wet children and get them and a newborn to the car. And then it hit me.

What would we eat for dinner?

And then an older and wiser woman shared something with me...

She said every Sunday night they have popcorn, cheese, and smoothies. Period.

So we decided to try it.

And we haven't gone back.

And now we have an air popper. It rocks.


We grab our $1.25 bag of popcorn seeds...


Pour half a cup in the popper...


Plug her in and wait...


In a few minutes you have a party in the kitchen because your children will no doubt want to be part of this...every now and then a piece of popcorn flies out into the kitchen. It's rather wild and exciting and there's always a race to see who can get to the exiled piece first.


Once the bowl is full, if you're bad like we are, you add a little melted butter (that you sliced and set in the measuring cup that also acts as a lid...so it melts the butter while the kernels pop) and a little salt. This is our fav.


And then you have a giant bowl full of popcorn and little hands...and then you and the husband decide you'd best pop another bowl. It's doubtful you'll get any of that first one.

7 comments:

  1. Just bought ours this weekend! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! I don't know if it would be enough for my growing boys. I usually save it for a snack. But it is perfect for the little ones.

    Love you!
    Stacie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmm! We always had a Presto! air popper growing up... this makes me want to rush off to Bed Bath & Beyond and buy one!! And the one we had melted the butter in the lid too! Sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was little, we often had popcorn and grape juice for Sunday night suppers, which had been the tradition in my father's house growing up. We've had many a Sunday popcorn supper lately, too. You've hit upon a time-honored tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What I love about your Sunday evening suppers (besides the fact that the menu is EASY!) is that you have a established a fun tradition for your family. Your children will fondly remember it every time they eat popcorn and they're likely to carry the tradition into their own families.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so clever!
    Hmm...I might have to be a copycat and make this a tradition for us too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We had one of those air poppers when I was a kid and we loved it! So much healthier than the nuked stuff, too.

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete