Sunday, April 22, 2012

Woop Woop!!!



We closed on our new house. New to us, at least. And it's a super neat story of how it all came to be, but I'll save that for another day.

The closing itself was uneventful, unless you consider two potty breaks and a purple jolly rancher being lobbed out of Little Bit's mouth and onto the carpet in the lawyer's office - he was cool with it all - said he didn't care for those purple jolly ranchers either.

We spent Friday afternoon meeting with a plumber and locksmith and insurance agent...and then we ripped carpet out of three bedrooms...we went to pull it up in the master and guess what? There aren't really "hardwoods throughout." It's concrete. Yep. So we're back to carpet in the master with dogs - but The Engineer is good - and so replacing that carpet with hardwoods is high up on the priority list. It will happen. (I'm smiling.)

We got great news from the plumber - every toilet needs replacing - or rebuilding, but replacing them is much less expensive. There are some positives to new toilets! Out with the originals from '42, in with the new. I dare say the originals had a good, long life.

I didn't open the kitchen cabinets when we looked at the house...they are old and stained wood and the countertops are baby blue and I told The Engineer I would choose contentment. That I would be happy to live with the kitchen like that for a few years...and then we got there Friday and I opened the cabinet doors...and it looked like someone had dumped coffee grounds on every level surface...and it wasn't coffee grounds. And I cringed. And I scooped and scraped and wiped and every time I thought I'd gotten it all, I found more. And then the tears, well, they came.

First project: sealing, scrubbing, priming, and painting the kitchen cabs - inside and out.

I'm a tiny bit overcome with that "gross" feeling of living in a space that's been vacant for over two years...and I feel totally overwhelmed. Like, can't see the forest for the trees...

And I've cried and cried saying goodbye to so many very precious and dear friends. And I've already made a few sweet friends in our new local.

I feel like God has written this beautiful story and we are at the end of this chapter that's been so amazing and I know there's only a short page left - with maybe a paragraph or two, but the chapter's been so good -I want to turn the page to find out what happens, and I know it'll be good, and at the same time, I can't bare it. I want it to last just a little longer.

Alas, we are at the end. The movers come in the morning. They begin at 8am sharp. I've got to finish taking inventory and packing our bags. It's so bittersweet and God is so good and so faithful and I am literally clinging to Him for this season of life, knowing He will carry us through, trusting, and praying He will give me the grace not to be a control freak brat to my family - 'cause life feels a little out of control right now.

Here's to a new chapter - a new adventure - a GREAT new adventure!

See you in our new digs in a few days!


12 comments:

  1. Oh J! Praising for the house and praying with you as you pursue God's perspective in this whole thing.

    Remember Abraham:
    "He did not stagger at the promise of God through unbelief, but was strong in faith, giving glory to God, and being fully persuaded that what God had promised, He was also able to perform." (Romans 4:20-21)

    God has promised to take care of you, and He won't let you down. Hang in there! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss you guys already! THanks so much for having us to spend a few sweet days with you before the caos of moving! Much love and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Moving with you my friend. How wonderful that it is possible in this part of our lives...blogging is great like that!

    Praying for you as you close this chapter and open a new one.

    Take your time getting settled. And take it all in stride. One. Day. At. A. Time.

    Much Love,
    Camille xo
    Isaiah 26:3-4

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've been on my heart and are definitely in my prayers. I am confident that you will continue to see His loving fingerprints.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That video is so great on so many levels!! There is not a single doubt in my mind that your new house will become your wonderful home in no time at all. Looking forward to moving with you and watching it all come together on this blog. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hallelujah! And that video was great...it made me feel so normal with the noise level! Ha!

    But, you haven't said where you are moving to...???? Please say Atlanta!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praying for you now! Exciting! My memory verse for now: 2 Corinthians 2:14-15 would be an encouragement. He leads us in "triumphal procession"!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Cagles said:

    SCHWING! Bring it, new state! Bring it, new town! New Chapters are like new books-- you remember the old, you cherish the old, but the new... oh, the new... the exciting and wonderful NEW... I love the new. It makes me appreciate the old, but I fall in love with the new every single time. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay for your family's new adventure! I can hardly wait to hear more about how y'all are settling in and setting up a new home.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are doing well. Keep up the good work. It is OK to cry. You are experiencing change. Change comes with tears.

    Love you,
    Stacie

    PS. Loved the van video. Ours would have been louder though! LOL!Kids have so much fun when they travel ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just got caught up on your move, and feel like you're forging the way I will soon follow. We're leaving my home and family in CO for IA in just three weeks. Trying to get ready to embrace the adventure, though it will be so hard. Painting kitchen cabinets are first on my priority list, too. :)

    ReplyDelete